Norwich - Entry Level Police Officer
Login & Apply Now
- Law Enforcement Council of CT Entry Level Police Officer Exam
Click here for more information
NORWICH POLICE DEPARTMENT
NOW HIRING FOR THE POSITION OF
Under direction of superior officer, protects the lives and property of citizens. Provides services to the Public and maintains the peace, protects the rights of persons and property, and enforces all laws and ordinances coming under the jurisdiction of the Police Department. Under normal conditions, interacts with the public in a congenial and positive manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrols a specified beat or district on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or in a radio cruiser, boat, or other mode of transportation; patrols and examines buildings and residences to detect suspicious activities, solves problems and responds to emergencies of all kinds.
- Directs traffic in emergency areas; reports safety hazards; responds to scene of traffic accidents, and administers emergency medical treatment. Investigates cause and files accident reports.
- Issues citations to violators of traffic laws and regulations.
- Intervenes in fights, disorderly behavior, and family disputes. Provides assistance to victims, brings calm to situations, and takes offenders into custody.
- Investigates all types of crimes; searches the scene of crimes and accidents for evidence and preserves found evidence; interviews victims, witnesses and potential suspects; apprehends those accused of crimes. Makes oral and written reports, prepares affidavits, in a timely fashion and provides testimony in court.
- Performs, as assigned, clerical duties, computer entry, and statistical analysis. Also performs duties of dignitary protection, transportation and apprehension and guarding of dangerous criminal offenders, and other security details.
- Must be truthful, candid and beyond reproach in all activities.
- Performs such related work as may be required by the orders, rules, customs and regulations of the Police Department of the City of Norwich.
Must be able to read, write and speak the English language. Must be able to work cooperatively with others. Proven integrity, courage, initiative, resourcefulness, good judgement and a neat and clean physical appearance.
In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough character and background investigation of each candidate will be made before names are certified for appointment. Candidates who have criminal record or have been dishonorably discharged from any police department or the armed forces of the United States may be ineligible. Copy of Military Discharge, DD214 form is required.
High school diploma or State Equivalency degree required. Must possess a valid State of Connecticut motor vehicle operator's license. Must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions; is exposed to stressful and emergency situations; operates a vehicle at night, in severe weather conditions, and at high speed pursuit in congested areas; and may sit at a desk or in a car, or stand at an assigned location, and work continuously for extended periods of time.
Employees in this position are required to walk, run short and moderate distances in foot pursuit, climb stairs and ladders, jump and dodge obstacles, lift and carry objects and people, drag and pull objects and people, push/pull heavy objects, bend and reach, use force of short and moderate duration with subjects, use restraining devices, and use restraining/control holds.
Employees must be able to physically and effectively operate required equipment such as firearms, cameras, radios, telephones, handcuffs, baton, flares, radar, breathalyzer, and assigned equipment, computers and other electronic devices.
Candidates will be required to take a physical agility test prior to appointment. Candidates must have adequate physical strength and stamina to perform the duties and must maintain physical ability. Candidates must also meet weight in proportion to height requirements.
Permanent appointment is contingent upon obtaining and maintaining "certification" as a police officer by the State of Connecticut Police Officer Standards and Training Council (POST). Candidates must continue to meet all requirements and standards as set forth by POSTC including, but not limited to, pre- and post entrance examinations and requirements. Candidates must also meet all requirements of the POST Job Description.
Please direct questions regarding this job to email@example.com
Jobs close at 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the deadline date specified, or when the position capacity has been met, or unless otherwise specified in the announcement. It is the applicant's responsibility to thoroughly read and understand the deadline requirements and capacity limits as outlined by the agency.