Old Saybrook - Entry Level Police Officer
Login & Apply Now
Selection Process Information for the Position of Patrolman
Certified and Non-Certified must take the written test.
You must be CHIP Certified at 40% PRIOR to the written test.
Certified Officers contact firstname.lastname@example.org before signing up for the written test
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Old Saybrook Department of Police Services. Members of our department are professionals who proudly perform critical traditional and nontraditional law enforcement services on a daily basis for the citizens and visitors of the Town of Old Saybrook.
We have begun a testing process to establish a hiring list for potential vacancies. Certified officers and non-certified candidates are encouraged to apply.
The written test will be held on May 1, 2017 at the Old Saybrook High School,
1111 Boston Post Rd., Old Saybrook, CT 06475
at 5:00 P.M.
The deadline for submitting your application is midnight on April 30, 2017
No refunds will be provided once the application is submitted.
This process will proceed at a rapid pace. There will be no rescheduling of events for any reason. We look forward to interacting with you during our selection process. All communications and notifications will be done by e-mail through PoliceApp and you should check your account regularly.
To compete in this process you must apply. Applications can be submitted by clicking the APPLY NOW icon above.
- Valid Driver’s License – Candidates must present a valid driver’s license to be admitted to the written exam.
- Physical Agility Testing – In order to take the written exam you MUST have a valid 40% C.H.I.P. Card. Candidates without a valid CHIP card should visit the C.H.I.P., Inc. website for testing information. There are multiple C.H.I.P. testings opportunities prior to the written test, see the C.H.I.P. web site.
You are NOT eligible for employment with the Old Saybrook Department of Police Services if:
- You have been convicted of a Felony Crime.
- You have been convicted of any Class A or Class B misdemeanor.
- You have been convicted of a DWI or DUI. (This includes a 1st time nolle)
- You have committed any act which would constitute perjury or false statement.
- You have been arrested and/or convicted of domestic violence or domestic assault.
- You have been dishonorably discharged from any military service.
- You have been terminated for cause from a department of local, state or federal government.
- You have been asked to resign from a department while under investigation of wrong doing.
You must also meet the following qualifications in order to be considered for a position with the Old Saybrook Department of Police Services:
- Age: Twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of the written test.
- Education: You must be a high school graduate or possess a GED.
- License: Applicants must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. A valid Connecticut Driver’s License will be required upon appointment.
- Residency: Candidates must be U.S. citizens.
- Physical Examination: You must meet departmental physical fitness standards at the 40th percentile level certified through CHIP, Inc. prior to the exam test date.
- Medical Training: You must able to become certified as an Emergency Medical Technician (E.M.T.) within one year of graduation from the academy or from your appointment to field training.
- Drug Testing: Candidates shall be required to submit to a drug test as part of the pre-employment medical examination.
- Character Requirement and other factors: Candidates must meet the highest legal and ethical standards. Honesty and integrity are paramount to our profession. No applicant will be accepted with any drug related conviction. Candidates will undergo a rigorous background investigation, including a polygraph, before any offer of employment. An applicant may be disqualified for poor employment history, recent use of illegal drugs, or previously undetected criminal activity.
The selection process will include, at minimum, a detailed review of your application packet, and the successful completion of the Department’s selection process which includes but may not be limited to the following:
- Physical Agility Testing (C.H.I.P. at 40%, see www.chip-inc.com)
- Written Examination (Passing 70 %)
- Oral Examination (Passing 70%)
- Writing Prompt
- Detailed Background Investigation
- Detailed Resume
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Exam
- Medical Exam
- Chief’s Interview
- Police Commission Interview
Additionally, the demonstration of strong oral and written communication skills throughout the selection process is essential.
If you have any questions regarding the application process contact email@example.com.
Please direct questions regarding this job to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jobs close at 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the deadline date specified, or when the position capacity has been met, or unless otherwise specified in the announcement. It is the applicant's responsibility to thoroughly read and understand the deadline requirements and capacity limits as outlined by the agency.