Mount Airy - Certified LATERAL Police Officer
Login & Apply Now
TOWN OF MOUNT AIRY
Police Officer I – Maryland Certified LATERAL Police Officer
$45,000.00 - $52,000.00 Annually
$1730.77 - $2,000.00 Biweekly
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Police Department
Job No.: 2017-
The Town of Mount Airy is accepting applications for Maryland Certified LATERAL Police Officers. This is an open continuous recruitment process that will establish a standing eligibility list for present and future Department vacancies. Positions are filled based on operational needs. The selection process may take up to six months or longer to complete.
To be considered a LATERAL applicant, you MUST:
BE CURRENTLY CERTIFIED AS A POLICE OFFICER THROUGH THE MARYLAND POLICE TRAINING AND STANDARDS COMMISSION (MPTSC); OR HAVE BEEN CERTIFIED AS A POLICE OFFICER THROUGH THE MPTSC WITHIN THE PAST 3 YEARS; AND CURRENTLY BE, OR HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN, EMPLOYED BY A MARYLAND LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER.
ALL APPLICANTS FOR THIS POSITION MUST HAVE A MARYLAND POLICE TRAINING AND STANDARDS COMMISSION (MPTSC) NUMBER AND MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WITH A MARYLAND LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. IF YOU DO NOT MEET THESE STANDARDS, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED THAT DO NOT MEET THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
To be considered for employment, applicants for this position must meet the following standards:
- Be a current MPTSC certified police officer, or have been an MPTSC certified police officer within the past 3 years.
- Be currently employed by or have previously been employed by a Maryland law enforcement agency as a law enforcement officer.
- Be age 21 years of age by the time of appointment.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Possess a valid Maryland Driver's License and have a good overall driving record.
- Be in excellent physical and mental condition as determined by comprehensive examinations.
- Have graduated from an accredited high school, or possess a high school diploma recognized by the Maryland Department of Education or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associate's Degree is preferred but not required.
- Be of good moral character, with no felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions for which a sentence of imprisonment for one year or more could have been imposed.
- Not be a current user of illegal drugs.
The Town of Mount Airy is a recently formed, professional law enforcement agency, and is seeking highly motivated men and women for police officer positions.
Police officers perform routine protective service and law enforcement work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments. Work may be performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves considerable personal hazard.
The Mount Airy Police Department provides law enforcement services to more than 9,300 residents, businesses and visitors and will sometimes be assisted by the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office, Frederick County Sheriff’s Office and the Maryland State Police. Town officers respond to calls for service as necessary and utilize partnerships to solve problems and to deal with issues affecting the safety and quality of life in all town neighborhoods.
Job Functions: Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- On an assigned shift, operates a patrol vehicle, bicycle, or walks to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order.
- Responds to radio dispatches and answers calls and complaints; issues traffic citations; serves warrants and summonses.
- Controls individual and group actions through verbal direction and/or the employment of necessary and reasonable force.
- Makes arrests and testifies in court.
- Provides police escorts, directs traffic; performs residential and commercial checks.
- Investigates traffic accidents.
- Interviews victims and witnesses to obtain additional necessary information regarding crimes, accidents, violations, etc.; investigates crimes; collects evidence; conducts searches.
- Completes police reports, arrest reports, and other records.
- Participates in a variety of in-service and specialized training programs.
- Responds to and investigates domestic disputes and assists other law enforcement agencies when requested or assigned.
- Transports, processes, and cares for prisoners.
- May be assigned to investigation, crime prevention, selective enforcement, DARE, or other technical or specialized support operations.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Excellent benefits and opportunities including:
Vacation leave is accrued as follows:
- Years 1-5: 80 hrs – 3.08 hr/pay = 10 days per year
- Years 5-10: 120 hrs – 4.62 hr/pay = 15 days per year
- Years10-15: 136 hrs – 5.23 hr/pay = 17 days per year
- Years 15+: 160 hrs – 6.15 hr/pay = 20 days per year
Sick leave is earned at a rate of 3.08 hours bi-weekly which is equivalent to 10 days per year.
The Town provides thirteen paid holidays each year. The Town is officially closed on these days:
- New Years Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- President’s Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veteran’s Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve = ½ day
- Christmas Day
- New Years Eve = ½ day
The Town of Mount Airy participates with Maryland State Retirement in the Employees and Law Enforcement Officers Pension System (LEOPS).
457B DEFERRED COMP PLAN
The 457b Deferred Compensation plan is strictly employee contribution.
The Town provides medical, dental, vision, short term disability, life insurance and voluntary long term disability. There is a cost share with some levels of coverage.
HEALTH REIMBURSEMENT ACCOUNT
A Health Reimbursement Account is an IRS Section 125 cafeteria plan that allows employees the option of pre-tax payroll deduction for some insurance premiums, unreimbursed medical expenses and child/dependent care expenses. Employees have the option of taking the HRA in lieu of the health insurance. The Town will provide $2600 in pre-tax dollars for unreimbursed medical expenses.
TAKE-HOME VEHICLE PROGRAM
Personnel are eligible upon successful completion of field training program and if residence is within predetermined mileage radius.
Starting annual salary for a Police Officer I (Maryland LATERAL Officer) is $45,000 to $52,000 based on prior police experience. Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all Town of Mount Airy employees.
Application & Selection Process:
Interested candidates must submit an application to be considered. Submission of a resume is also required. A copy of the candidate's MPTSC card will be submitted. (Resumes and other attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. You must fill out the application completely; do not use "see resume" or "see attachment." Incomplete applications will be rejected.)
Prompt application is highly encouraged. Recruitment will close without notice when a sufficient number of qualified applications are received or after all hiring decisions have been made.
Applications will be screened for employment eligibility by the Town of Mount Airy as they are received. Eligible candidates will receive an oral interview appointment, take an agility/fitness test, take a polygraph test, attend a drug screening and then be issued a Confidential Application Questionnaire to complete and return to the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office c/o the Mount Airy Police Department.
Following a complete assessment of the Confidential Questionnaire and other application materials, selected candidates will move forward in the extensive selection process which includes stringent background investigation, a medical examination and an emotional stability and psychological evaluation. Testing and interview dates will be scheduled based on operational needs.
A LATERAL hire MPTSC certified applicant does not attend the police academy, but is assigned to a required minimum 80 hour Field Training Program.
This position has a 24-month probationary period.
For additional information, contact the Town of Mount Airy at 301-829-1424.
Agency: Town of Mounty Airy Police Department
Address: Town Hall, 110 S. Main Street, PO Box 50, Mount Airy, Maryland 21771
* All previously submitted applications expired on December 31, 2016. Those applicants still interested must re-apply using the www.PoliceApp.com application process.
Please direct questions regarding this job to email@example.com
Jobs close at 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the deadline date specified, or when the position capacity has been met, or unless otherwise specified in the announcement. It is the applicant's responsibility to thoroughly read and understand the deadline requirements and capacity limits as outlined by the agency.