Carroll County Sheriff's Office - P06 Law Enforcement Deputy Sheriff Probationer
Login & Apply Now
DEPUTY SHERIFF PROBATIONER
Grade: P06 – Non-Exempt
Starting Salary $40,540
$5K signing bonus (First $2.5K to be processed on date of hire)
This position is for CERTIFIED law enforcement officers who possess one of the following:
Maryland (MPCTC) Law Enforcement Certified Applicants:
1 to 23 months of FULL SERVICE LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE; or
No FULL SERVICE LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE, regardless of years certified.
Out-of-State Law Enforcement Certified Applicants:
1 to 23 months of FULL SERVICE LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE.
Candidates who possess Out-of-State law enforcement certification must have their certification evaluated by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) for Maryland equivalency. Comparative compliance may be required for candidates possessing Out-of-State law enforcement certification.
This position is responsible for full law enforcement duties, and reports directly to a first line supervisor.
Patrols assigned area to prevent and detect violations of laws and ordinances; carries out special and extra duty details when assigned; maintains order and protects life and property; directs and controls traffic movement when required; makes arrests for violations of laws; prepares reports on arrests and investigations; maintains various records on activities; attends court and testifies when required. The Sheriff’s Office operates twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs essential law enforcement duties and responsibilities
- Ensures proper supervision and control of prisoners in custody
- Patrols assigned area in police cruiser or on foot
- Maintains radio contact with Emergency Communications Center (ECC) and reports crimes or unusual situations
- Responds to calls involving criminal violations and calls for assistance; initiates action as appropriate
- Secures scene to restore peace and protect evidence
- Interviews complainants and witnesses
- Conducts thorough follow up investigations until case is closed and/or reassigned
- Makes arrests, searches suspects for weapons and evidence and advises suspects of rights
- Seizes controlled dangerous substances and stolen property
- Transports suspects to police station and/or central booking
- Obtains arrest warrants from District Court Commissioner
- Fingerprints, photographs, and interrogates suspects
- Collects and deposits evidence and/o recovered property in accordance with agency policy and procedures
- Writes clear, concise, and complete criminal offense reports and/or search warrants
- Testifies in court as needed
- Must be a credible witness in court
- Responds to calls involving major traffic accidents or other incidents
- Renders first aid and requests medical assistance when necessary
- Interviews participants and witnesses; draws sketches and takes measurements; issues traffic citations, if appropriate writes accident reports
- Gives general assistance to the public (e.g. assists stranded motorists, gives directions to lost travelers, removes hazardous objects from roadway, searches for lost children, etc.)
- Issues traffic summonses and warnings, parking tickets and vehicle repair notices
- Directs traffic for special events, traffic signal malfunctions, traffic accidents, and other incidents as needed
- Serves arrest warrants and summonses issued by the courts
- Advises shopkeepers, business executives, and citizens on crime prevention and security measures; gives talks before civic and community groups about police operations
- Interacts proactively with the community to address quality of life issues
- Maintains vehicle and related equipment in accordance with agency policy to ensure proper working order
- Ensures agency issued uniforms and related equipment are properly maintained in accordance with agency policy
- Accommodates temporary assignments within the agency, which may include specialized units and/or undercover work
- Emulates the Mission, Vision, and Values of the agency at all times
- Performs other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of criminal laws, State Motor Vehicle Laws, and county ordinances
- Knowledge of modern principles, practices and procedures of police work
- Ability to perform all law enforcement duties without restriction and complete all duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Working knowledge of first aid methods
- Some knowledge of court procedures and the presentation of evidence
- Ability to follow oral and written reports on investigations, offenses, violations and accidents
- Knowledge of legal powers of police officers
- Ability to deal cooperatively, fairly and firmly with the general public
- Ability to handle sensitive public contacts, communicating with tact and professionalism
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); less than twenty-four (24) months of continuous service with a full service law enforcement agency.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manual. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION
Certified as a police officer (If other than Maryland Certification is held, verification of correct position will be completed after receiving an application)
Valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
Sound physical conditions, to be determined by physical agility test and medical examination.
- No criminal record; no dishonorable discharge from any law enforcement agency or Armed Forces
- Mentally, emotionally, and physically stable
- Demonstrates personal integrity and good moral character
- Pays attention to detail, is conscientious and demonstrates accountability for their actions
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical – synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data
- Design – generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; demonstrates attention to detail
- Problem Solving – identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills – assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others
- Customer service – manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer’s needs; solicits customer’s feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments
- Interpersonal Skills – focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situation; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information
- Teamwork – exhibits objectivity and openness to other’s views; gives and welcomes feedback; puts success of team above own interest; supports everyone’ efforts to succeed
- Visionary Leadership – inspires respect and trust; provides vision and inspiration to peers
- Leadership – exhibits confidence in self and others; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others
- Quality Management – looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Cost Consciousness – conserves orgainization's resources
- Diversity – shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; promotes a harassment-free environment
- Ethic – treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values
- Organizational Support – follows policies and procedures; completes administrative task correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; supports and respects diversity
- Strategic Thinking – understands organization’s strengths and weaknesses; adapts strategy to changing conditions
- Judgment – displays willingness to make decision; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions
- Motivation- demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence
- Planning/Organizing – prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; develops realistic plans
- Professionalism – approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments
- Quality – demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality
- Quantity – meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner
- Safety & Security – observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and material properly
- Adaptability – adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
- Attendance/Punctuality – is consistently at work and on time; arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Dependability – follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with alternate plan
- Initiative – undertakes self-development activities; asks for and offers help when needed
- Innovation – displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness
Physical Agility Test
Oral Interview Board
Final Command Review/Interview
Final Job Offer
"One or more positions may be filled using this vacancy announcement"
The Carroll County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Jobs close at 11:59 PM (Eastern) on the deadline date specified, or when the position capacity has been met, or unless otherwise specified in the announcement. It is the applicant's responsibility to thoroughly read and understand the deadline requirements and capacity limits as outlined by the agency.